- The new Firefox/Firefox Quantum
- FireFox is now faster than Chrome. And now with its ability to sync across platforms, it is a serious contender to Chrome. Here's what Tech Republic has to say about it.
- "A free removal tool for: Adware, PUPs (Potentially Undesirable Programs), browser toolbars, homepage hijackers." Must be downloaded for each new version (no internal updates), and must be run manually - no real-time protection and there is no paid version. Still, what it does, it does well. Some care must be taken in finding the real mccoy - Scammers Are Using a Fake Version of AdwCleaner to Trick People. Be sure to download it from the https://toolslib.net/ web site. Here is the AdwCleaner documentation. Highly recommended. Recently acquired by Malwarebytes.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- "Can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect." Free and highly recommended - Install (and keep uo-to-date) even if you have other good anti-virus protection. It is especially good at finding/destroying malware that other programs cannot - run in safe mode if you think you may have an infection.
- Avast Free Edition
- "A reliable free antivirus solution, that constantly and rapidly scans your computer for malicious programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers etc." Avast recently bought AVG antivirus (an equally good according to PCMag.com) and the products will be merging the products next year.
- Teamviewer Remote Desktop for Windows
- Access your computer from another Windows, Linux, or mobile device (Android or iOS)! FREE with no ads!
Teamviewer gives you remote access support with full audio and video.
Teamviewer is significantly better than Splashtop (faster, more options, including the abiltiy to control your computer over the Internet for free!)
A truly outstanding application. Highly recommended! Available for FREE as an app for Ipad (in Apple App Store) or Android (in Google Play Store).
- Excellent! Free and highly recommended. Site/software for saving data online. "Any file you save to Dropbox also instantly saves to your computers, phones, and the Dropbox website. Features:
- 2 GB of online Dropbox storage for free, with subscriptions up to 1TB available.
- Your files are always available from the secure Dropbox website.
- Dropbox works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.
- Works even when offline. You always have your files, whether or not you have a connection.
- Dropbox transfers just the parts of a file that change (not the whole thing).
- Manually set bandwidth limits -- Dropbox won't hog your connection.
- Shared folders allow people to work together on the same projects and documents.
- Google Drive
- Google Drive replaces Google Docs & Spreadsheets. As before, you can:
- Use an online editor to format documents, spell-check and more.
- Upload Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML or text.
- Download documents to your desktop as Word, PDF and more.
- View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version.
- Invite others to share your documents by e-mail address.
- Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
- Publish documents online to the world, or to just who you choose.
- Glary Utilities
- "Offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC. It allows you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files ..." and much more. Free and highly recommended.
- Panda Antivirus Free Edition
- See the 2016 PC Mag review.
- VideoLAN 2.0
- A free cross-platform media player. Version 2.0 has many new features:
- "With faster decoding on multi-core, GPU, and mobile hardware and the ability to open more formats, notably professional, HD and 10bits codecs, 2.0 is a major upgrade for VLC.
- Has a new rendering pipeline for video, with higher quality subtitles, and new video filters to enhance your videos.
- It supports many new devices and BluRay Discs (experimental).
- Completely reworked Mac and Web interfaces and improvements in the other interfaces make VLC easier than ever to use." Free and highly recommended
- WPS Office Free 2016
- "WPS Office 2016 Free is a powerful office suite which includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program and a presentation maker. These three programs can help you easily deal with office tasks.
Writer - Efficient word processor with PDF Reader and PDF creator; Presentation - Multimedia presentations creator; Spreadsheets - Powerful tool for data processing and analysis
Although it is a free suite, WPS Office comes with many innovative features, such as the paragraph adjustment tool and multiple tabbed feature. It also has a PDF converter, PDF to word, spell check and word count feature."
- "Free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins." I now use it in preference to my old favorite Paint Shop Pro - great for simple tasks like cropping/resizing/optimizing - highly recommended.
- Cnet's Black Friday Shopping Guide
- Looking for electronics/computer deals for BF? These CNET pages are a good resource.
- Perhaps the best site for finding great deals on computers, electronics and many other things.
- Ben's Bargains Guides
- Guides and ad scans for finding the best deals on computers, electronics and many other things.
- LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain.
- Excellent site for learning in many areas. "With a library of over 2,600 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and 211 practice exercises, we're on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace. "
- Princeton University: WebMedia - Lectures
- Many streaming videos of lectures by eminent intellectuals in many fields. Great stuff!
- Gifford Lectures Online
- "Presents a comprehensive collection of books derived from the Gifford Lectures [a tradition of more than a hundred years]. In addition to the books, the Web site contains a biography of each lecturer and a summary of the lecture or book." Wonderful if you care anything about the confluence of philosophy, science, and theology.
- MIT's OpenCourseWare
- "A free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world." Incredible content!
- "Inspired talks by the world's greatest thinkers and doers" - great stuff!
- BBC - Languages
- "Learn Spanish, German, French and Italian and other languages with the BBC Languages site. From holiday phrases to a complete course."
- A Brief History Of The End Of Everything
- "A series exploring how our ideas about the end of the universe have been shaped by religion, belief, and the contemporary state of scientific thinking and observation." A series of streaming audio programs on contemporary cosmology.
- Free ebooks on Biblical history topics
- An Internet word game has generated enough rice to feed 50,000 people for one day.
The game, FreeRice, tests the vocabulary of participants. For each click on a correct answer, the website donates money to buy 10 grains of rice.
Companies advertising on the website provide the money to the WFP to buy and distribute the rice. FreeRice went online in early October and has now raised 1bn grains of rice.
- "Save more, spend less and avoid ripoffs." Consumer information and advise. Very useful.
- Roger McGuinn
- Incredibly beautiful folk music on 12-string in RealAudio/MP3 - former leader of the Byrds of "Mr. Tamborine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" fame. Here is a video of Roger singing/playing "Turn, Turn, Turn."
- A data source and comparison tool for national statistics...you can generate maps and graphs with ease.
- Washington Post Puzzles
- Crosswords, sudoku
- USAToday Puzzles
- Many puzzles, including crosswords, sudoku
- Casual Printable Crossword
- Seven American-style crosswords are available each day (rotated at midnight eastern time). Solutions available the next day.
- "Over 500 pages of word puzzles, games, amazing lists, and fun facts."
- Only Connect
- Fun quiz taken from the BBC TV programme (as they spell it) - a challenge to your lateral thinking skills. Find the connections in seemingly unrelated things