- uBlock Origin
- A cross-browser, cross OS ad blocker that has been described as an HTML firewall. It has many nice features not the least of which is its low CPU/memory footprint. Oh, and as a bonus, it vastly speeds up the loading of pages with heavy ad graphics/animations. Many web sites which depend on advertising income are now detecting the presence of the ad blocker and and either asking for you to turn it off for their site (which is easily done in UBlock Origin) or not allowing you to see their content until you do disable it. uBlock Origin is available as a free extension for all major browsers on all major OSes, including Chrome/Firefox for Windows, Apple (Safari), Microsoft Store (Edge), and there are even Android versions.
- The new Firefox/Firefox Quantum
- FireFox is now faster than Chrome. And now with its ability to sync across platforms, it is a serious contender to Chrome. Here's what Tech Republic has to say about it.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- "Can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect." Free and highly recommended - Install (and keep uo-to-date) even if you have other good anti-virus protection. It is especially good at finding/destroying malware that other programs cannot - run in safe mode if you think you may have an infection.
- Avast Free Edition
- "A reliable free antivirus solution, that constantly and rapidly scans your computer for malicious programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers etc." Avast recently bought AVG antivirus (an equally good according to PCMag.com) and the products will be merging the products next year.
- Teamviewer Remote Desktop for Windows
- Access your computer from another Windows, Linux, or mobile device (Android or iOS)! FREE with no ads!
Teamviewer gives you remote access support with full audio and video.
Teamviewer is significantly better than Splashtop (faster, more options, including the abiltiy to control your computer over the Internet for free!)
A truly outstanding application. Highly recommended! Available for FREE as an app for Ipad (in Apple App Store) or Android (in Google Play Store).
- Excellent! Free and highly recommended. Site/software for saving data online. "Any file you save to Dropbox also instantly saves to your computers, phones, and the Dropbox website. Features:
- 2 GB of online Dropbox storage for free, with subscriptions up to 1TB available.
- Your files are always available from the secure Dropbox website.
- Dropbox works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.
- Works even when offline. You always have your files, whether or not you have a connection.
- Dropbox transfers just the parts of a file that change (not the whole thing).
- Manually set bandwidth limits -- Dropbox won't hog your connection.
- Shared folders allow people to work together on the same projects and documents.
- Google Drive
- Google Drive replaces Google Docs & Spreadsheets. As before, you can:
- Use an online editor to format documents, spell-check and more.
- Upload Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML or text.
- Download documents to your desktop as Word, PDF and more.
- View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version.
- Invite others to share your documents by e-mail address.
- Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
- Publish documents online to the world, or to just who you choose.
- Glary Utilities
- "Offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC. It allows you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files ..." and much more. Free and highly recommended.
- VideoLAN 3.0
- A free cross-platform media player. Version 2.0 has many new features:
- "This is the first major release in three years. It activates hardware decoding by default to get 4K and 8K playback, supports 10bits and HDR playback, 360° video and 3D audio, audio passthrough for HD audio codecs, streaming to Chromecast devices (even in formats not supported natively), playback of Blu-Ray Java menus and adds browsing of local network drives." Free and highly recommended
- WPS Office Free 2016
- "WPS Office 2016 Free is a powerful office suite which includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program and a presentation maker. These three programs can help you easily deal with office tasks.
Writer - Efficient word processor with PDF Reader and PDF creator; Presentation - Multimedia presentations creator; Spreadsheets - Powerful tool for data processing and analysis
Although it is a free suite, WPS Office comes with many innovative features, such as the paragraph adjustment tool and multiple tabbed feature. It also has a PDF converter, PDF to word, spell check and word count feature."
- "Free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins." I now use it in preference to my old favorite Paint Shop Pro - great for simple tasks like cropping/resizing/optimizing - highly recommended.
|CompuKiss||Well-designed web site with easy to understand content on computer technology - tips, reviews, news, articles, resources, realaudio content from Sandy Berger's radio program|
- Perhaps the best site for finding great deals on computers, electronics and many other things.
- Ben's Bargains Guides
- Guides and ad scans for finding the best deals on computers, electronics and many other things.
- 18 History Podcasts
- A recommended list of 18 history podcasts.
- History of Philosophy (without any gaps) podcast
- "The series looks at the ideas, lives and historical context of the major philosophers as well as the lesser-known figures of the tradition." If you have any interest in philosophical topics this is the podcast for you. Peter Adamson has produced the most comprehensive, accessible, serious and occasionally humorous, podcast treatment that I know of, at least in English. Currently he is working toward 300 episodes, and he has gotten into the late middle ages, with several hundred years of history and several years of podcasting to go. Reddit has an annotated list of philosophy related podcasts, if you are interested. Another good one: Ancient Greece Declassified
- One of the very best YouTube video collections covering many different engineering topics. Highly recommended if you have any interest in engineering topics.
- LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain.
- Excellent site for learning in many areas. "With a library of over 2,600 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and 211 practice exercises, we're on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace. "
- Princeton University: WebMedia - Lectures
- Many streaming videos of lectures by eminent intellectuals in many fields. Great stuff!
- Gifford Lectures Online
- "Presents a comprehensive collection of books derived from the Gifford Lectures [a tradition of more than a hundred years]. In addition to the books, the Web site contains a biography of each lecturer and a summary of the lecture or book." Wonderful if you care anything about the confluence of philosophy, science, and theology.
- MIT's OpenCourseWare
- "A free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world." Incredible content!
- "Inspired talks by the world's greatest thinkers and doers" - great stuff!
- BBC - Languages
- "Learn Spanish, German, French and Italian and other languages with the BBC Languages site. From holiday phrases to a complete course."
- Free ebooks on Biblical history topics
- An Internet word game has generated enough rice to feed 50,000 people for one day.
The game, FreeRice, tests the vocabulary of participants. For each click on a correct answer, the website donates money to buy 10 grains of rice.
Companies advertising on the website provide the money to the WFP to buy and distribute the rice. FreeRice went online in early October and has now raised 1bn grains of rice.
- Roger McGuinn
- Incredibly beautiful folk music on 12-string in RealAudio/MP3 - former leader of the Byrds of "Mr. Tamborine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" fame. Here is a video of Roger singing/playing "Turn, Turn, Turn."
- A data source and comparison tool for national statistics...you can generate maps and graphs with ease.
- Washington Post Puzzles
- Crosswords, sudoku
- USAToday Puzzles
- Many puzzles, including crosswords, sudoku
- Casual Printable Crossword
- Seven American-style crosswords are available each day (rotated at midnight eastern time). Solutions available the next day.
- "Over 500 pages of word puzzles, games, amazing lists, and fun facts."